Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Build 4117 Crash : Initializing Files
It never ceases to amaze me how I can destroy my working setup in a matter of seconds that takes hours to recover from. Take todays example…
I posted a message on the Kohana forums to find out what the Kohana Ninjas use for developing their applications. As I’d been having problems with the ORM objects and my incorrect pluralization when I setup the relationships I wanted to step-through the Kohana internals and discover where I was going wrong.
So after downloading all of the leading PHP IDEs, installing them and failing miserably to get them working with my Kohana application, I turned to the forums. So far I’ve had some great replies and will be working my way through them over the coming weeks. One particular comment struck a chord though, I should be using Subversion.
I agree and I’d been trying to get it going on and off for a while and then I recalled that Dreamweaver CS4 had source control built-in so I used a handy guide to setup Subversion 1.6.3 on my PC. As Jeff’s post said, it took less than 30 minutes to get it going and I even added the repository into my Mozy backup just to make double sure. All worked fine until I shutdown my PC and tried to start CS4 up again, it refused – BANG!!!
CS4 started up and then failed while ‘Initializing Files’. I tried a whole multitude of fixes, including the deletion of files, registry keys. I even downloaded the Microsoft Debugging Tools, used the File Monitoring application from SysInternals and Google’d every step of the way.
In the end I found the clue online – it was Subversion. As this had been my last change I’d suspected this was the culprit, I’d even removed the web site I was working on, as well as stopping the service but to no avail.
Dreamweaver CS4 is only compatible with Subversion 1.4.5 so I had to downgrade my Subversion. I found a copy of the 1.4.5 Windows binary online and installed it. DON’T DO THIS!!!
I ended up over-writing my copy of Subversion and then going through some hoops to dump the repository with the 1.6.3 copy and reload it with the newly installed 1.4.5 copy.
WITH HINDSIGHT – Dump the repository with the 1.6.3 copy you have installed, THEN downgrade it, recreate the repository, setup the users and permissions again and then reload the repository from the dumped files.
And now it all works again – phew! Just another 8 hours wasted of my life.
UPDATE: It seems the problem may be caused by TortoiseSVN and Dreamweaver CS4 as it seems DW will work with a later version of Subversion but only if no other client interacts with the repository … ever. See this Adobe forum posting for more information. To me, it seems highly unstable though and would still recommend downgrading to 1.4.5 until Adobe fix the ‘real’ problem.